Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Commendation from the Haitian Consulate in Chicago


This letter was part of a poster presented to John after his work with Marie Amazan, a young woman from Haiti with a ,very sick heart, who received surgery at Provena St. Joseph Medical Center in Joliet, IL in the summer of 2007. Marie was not far from death when she arrived in the United States. A couple months later, she left with a healthier heart courtesy of a couple of artificial valves, the skill of Dr. Foy, the surgeon, the generosity of Provena St. Joseph, and the perseverance of John.

Consulat General de la Republique d'Haiti a Chicago
22 S. State Street, Suite 2110
Chicago, IL 60604

July 18, 2007

Dear Dr. Carroll,

On behalf of the Consulate General of Haiti in Chicago and indeed on behalf of the Haitian community, I want to express my profound and sincere gratitude to you for the wonderful difference you have been making in many Haitian lives for the better part of a quarter of a century.

I know that you are a man of God and that your satsifaction lies in the knowledge that you are doing His work by embracing, helping and uplifting your fellow humans; the humblest among them. I also know htat you have seen many a grateful smile and felt the extraordinary warmth of my people's hospitality.

The fact that you deliberately chose to take your skills to Haiti and trade the comfort of your home for the appaling conditions that we all know shows that beyond the misery, you see children and young adults who deserve a chance at life. You arecently gave such a chance to marei Myrtha Amazan. This young person is now facing life with a heart full of hope and gratitude.

Allow me to be the mouthpiece of all the people whose lives you have transformed. Thank you very much for having revived our trust in human nature.

May the Lord continue to bless you profusely!

Lesly Conde
Consul General

5 comments:

Frandy Dejean said...

Haiti thanks Dr John for his AID.
Maria,Congratulations for all your words on this web site.I am praying for you to stay heathly.May God bless you all.

Maria Carroll said...

Frandy,

Thanks for all your nice comments. Keep up your good work at school.
We think of you often!

Maria

Jesse Sullivan said...

Hi Maria! and tell Johnny Hi for me too. Just reading your blog and it is amazing. I am over here at Oxford studying international politics... it's all about power, security, national interests. I get very discouraged having to deal right now with academic arguments etc. I am just ready to get back out to the real transformative challenges of life in the developing world. I am very inspired by you two in so many ways. You're in my prayers and I am blessed to have family like you. I just know we will be working together someday!

Maria Carroll said...

Jessie!

Thanks so much for your comment. I am so happy that you are reading the blog. We are looking forward to seeing you and can't wait for you to come to Haiti with us!

Maria

Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for all you work! I like that! I am Sammuel and I own a business promoting the haitian culture www.treasuresofhaiti.com
People tend to forget that Haitians are very talented but they are not given too much opportunities. Go to my website and find out for yourself and if there is anything you like you can just buy it right away.

God bless!

Sammuel!