Thursday, November 30, 2006

Books Gone Wild


I’m way behind in my book reviews. On this overlong trip (four months and counting), I have read Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, parts of “The War Against the Cliché” by Martin Amis, “Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln” by Doris Kearns Goodwin, “Mediated: How the Media Shapes Your World and the Way You Live In It” by Thomas De Zengotita, “Inspiration” by Wayne Dyer, “Finding George Orwell in Burma” by Emma Larkin and probably a few more that I’ve forgotten. I’m currently reading “The Brothers Karamazov,” and at my 21 pages a day schedule, should finish it by the end of the year.

So which book was my favorite? “Team of Rivals,” largely because of its subject matter but also because of Goodwin’s writing talent. I will write mini-reviews of each of these books. In some way, these books have something to say about Haiti and as I know your interest in Haiti is why you’re reading this blog I will make sure to point this out.

I discovered the book blogs on this trip: Conversational Reading, Slush Pile, Syntax of Things, Book Fox, etc. Yikes! They are great and educational, but big time suckers too. The internet is infinitely interesting and a lot of other things too.

No comments: